Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sharing Creativity = Zen

I have to admit I have not been sharing too much on my blog but I have been working with a group of elementary school kids from my son's school, teaching finger knitting and crafting for the past 6 weeks or so.  I have been finding so many rewards in sharing, in watching others achievements, in witnessing all the ways we find "zen" when we create.  I am working with primary aged children so giving them a pair of knitting needles or a crochet hook and expecting them to catch on is not happening yet. 

Teaching the kids how to crochet with their finger or four finger knitting is so much fun and enjoyable for them!  It is fast, easy and immediately gratifying to the kids.  Within the first session they were creating, the length of their pieces grow and take shape.  I am hoping to be able to make some knitting spools with the kids and then make some other projects as we build their skills and confidence. 

Watching the kids catch on so quickly and settle into creating within minutes is an amazing thing to witness.  They share and help each other.  They all compliment each other on how well they are doing.  

I am looking forward to sharing beading, friendship bracelets, spool knitting, and even some small sewing projects with the kids.  

Everything is so fresh and amazing in the eyes of a child.  There is truly nothing more valuable you can give a child than your time and attention. 

Namaste,

Chriss

2 comments: