Thursday, January 6, 2011

Intentions......Resolutions........Inspirations

Hhhhmmmm.......I don't generally make a "New Years Resolution",  I feel if you want to do something badly enough and you really think its worthwhile, why put it off or wait?

Normally I am not a person to wait to resolve to do something.  I analyze the situation and then take the best course for me and my family.  Why put off for tomorrow what you can take care of today?

I often contemplate many things but rarely procrastinate anything.  LOL.  I know that I need to surround myself with positive thinking people, that help me find compassion, mindfulness, love and happiness within myself. 
So, I was watching a program yesterday and it had Deepak Chopra on it.  This man is amazing.  He said something that really hit home with me.  "Who am I?  What is my Purpose?"  he answered,  "You don not need the answer, you only need to live the questions."  Wow!!  I said it over and over.

 My next person I have much admiration for is Thich Naht Hanh.  He is Vietnamese by birth but has been exiled from his country.  He is a Zen Master of "engaged Buddhism".  His life has been dedicated to the work of inner transformation for the benefit of individuals and society.  His humor and ability to put his teachings and that of Buddha into layman's terms is amazing.  Thich Nhat Hanh's key teaching is that, through mindfulness, we can learn to live in the present moment instead of in the past and in the future. Dwelling in the present moment is, according to Thich Nhat Hanh, the only way to truly develop peace, both in one's self and in the world.

Someone else I highly regard is the Dalai Lama.  Compassion, empathy is the core of his being.  He has the most wonderful laugh I have ever heard.  When I think of how he has filled his being with so much love and happiness despite being exiled from his country, I think he is one of the most amazing people of our time.

These are three of the people I will be surrounding myself with or maybe it is rather their teachings that I will be surrounding myself with.

My first Resolution is to Listen Deeply.   I want to make the time to listen deeply to my own suffering and then also the suffering of others.  It is only when I take the time to acknowledge my own suffering that I can acknowledge the suffering of others in a compassionate and loving way.  I am resolving to listen, to listen to my own suffering and then listening to the suffering of others with comapassion.

Being mindful in my judgments.  Often, my judgments serve no purpose but to ignore my own suffering and therefore spread it to those around me.  What is a judgment?  It's a belief.  What is a belief and what purpose is that belief serving?  It is causing anger, resentment or anxiety?  Or is it allowing peace, happiness and love to grow within?  If it is causing suffering maybe that belief is no longer worth believing.  Challenge the belief. 

My last intention is to live mindfully.  To be aware of what I consume.  Not just eat but any items I use and how they came to be.  Where they came from, who made them, grew them, how far it has come to get to me.  What impact does this have on the people who make it?  What impact does it have on the environment?  Or the economy?

I remember that I am constantly setting an example for those around me, especially my children.  If they see me living mindfully of others, of myself, of the environment, then I am teaching them these values as well. 

Namaste,

Chriss

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely, mindful post! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this with us. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insightful thinking for all of us in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool post :-)
    My sister is Buddhist and we often go to the temple, it's such a peace-making place. And Deepak Chopra has great insights too.

    ReplyDelete