Friday, November 19, 2010

Girl Effect.....will you help?

I have special announcement.  There is a very special cause called Girl Effect.  Please watch the Video: 


I want you all to know that if you have been considering buying an item from my Etsy Shop,  now is the time.  Because I will changing things around a bit.  I will be donating 50% of the purchase price of certain items in my Etsy Shop.  I hope that you will help me support this cause.

A friend of mine emailed me some information today.  The moment I saw this I knew that I had to get involved.  Here is my story. 

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day.  Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime."
To make a long story short,  I remember being about 9 years old and telling my Mom that I was going to join the army, become a Nurse and go to countries like Romania, and Turkey.  I was going to nurse all the babies and children in the orphanages with HIV.  Hold them, feed them, love them.  
Let's just say that never happened.  I did become a Mom at a very young age and I did have a hell of a lot of help.  I had so many "Angel Mothers", some taught me: to cook, some to shop, some to budget, some to sew, some to listen to, some to talk to, some to deal with my anger and angst for the world that no longer had any value for me.  I remember hearing very often, "that's such a shame".  Frankly, the only shame I saw was that attitude of those around me.

I never let being a teen mom stop me from doing anything.  I became a Health Care Assistant and have worked with the elderly and disabled for over 11 years.  I was a volunteer Fire Fighter and Level 3 First Responder for 3.5 Years.  I have two more beautiful children.  I am married to the most incredible husband.  I am an amazing cook.  I grow lots of food for my family to eat.  I have my own business that is not only Eco- Friendly, handmade and awesome, but it supplements my income.  And many other spectacular details of my life I won't mention here.

What's the shame in that?

It all started with a belief.  A belief that even though I didn't live in a perfect situation, I still had value, worth.  I could still get an education, work, raise my family, learn skills to get us through the tough times.  I was not a lost cause.
Neither is any other Girl.
Needless to say this cause spoke volumes to me.  Please visit the website today and see what you can do to help.  http://www.girleffect.org/    or visit:  My Etsy Shop


Namaste,

Chriss

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Chriss! I saw that video earlier in the week and found it incredibly moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful, moving post! I have 2 sisters that were teen Mommies, and they are now my best friends...the most down-to-earth, loving people I know. The other 2, well, let's just say they had nothing to 'ground' them.

    ReplyDelete