Thursday, November 5, 2009

It gets easier to talk about your business......

I'll never forget how difficult it was to talk about my business at first.  I was so sacred of rejection.  I thought people would think it was stupid.  Frankly, not every person I talked to was interested.  especially when I was talking about crocheting.  I found the key was being at the right place at the right time.  Literally shopping at places that I believed my items would do well.  Wearing my items was huge!  People would ask, "Where'd you buy that?"  Of course, this was an opportunity to talk about the stuff I make.   Now,  I am shameless!  I had to find out who would buy this and where are they?  With the Handmade market taking off, this can be difficult.
I consign.  I consign my items and patterns.  This doesn't make me hoards of money at this point, but it sure helps to get me exposure.  Plus then I can brag about it on my blog and websites.

Networking online was really something I did not do for a long time.  I was never big on forums and such.  Now, I realize I have to.  I also need to look at other people shops and support them.  I don't have loads of time to be on Etsy forums for example, but I try to make an appearance, or do a critique to help a newbie.

My three rules to live by:  Be Kind, Be honest, Be helpful.

Frankly, not everyone cares that the item(s) are made with hemp or fair trade sari silk.  They just loved the item.  Point is I cannot give everyone the same spiel, they are not all interested.  So is researching my fiber choices is not a waste of time, because when someone does ask, I have answers.
Constantly, I get you don't use acrylic yarn?  No, I don't and no, I won't.  I have my own personal beliefs that I will keep to myself.  

Realize that your business is built on others businesses.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Very awesome and inspirational! I respect your beliefs and its nice to see you know when to talk about them and when to just let your product talk for itself. I'm glad it gets easier to talk about the biz- so far it seems I'm a five year old showing everyone a picture I drew- I get comments like: oh how cute, oh how sweet, how nice, good job, and my husband doesn't help by saying he "thinks its cool I do my craft stuff" but says it with a ridiculous smile on his face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe in what you are doing and your product. Opinions are like.......belly buttons, everyone has one. Not everyone will like what you do, I don't bother trying to convince people that my products and patterns are great, they can decide that themselves, I am here to give them the information. Keep going!! You need to find your niche, it takes a while but you will find it. :)

    ReplyDelete